Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Race #2

Ah the freedom run.

I ran this race last year. My time was 57:18.... or something like that.

I believe I started training only one month before running it. So surely I could run it faster this year right? RIGHT?

I wasn't so sure. I feel so slow.

Last year, about 5 miles in I wanted to die. And the last mile is almost entirely up-hill. Mix that with a major need to use a bathroom I had to stop and walk. I hate it when I just HAVE to stop running. It's so hard to get started again and I see my time just exponentially rise before me. But I'm not the type to pee my pants and keep on running. Especially when I'm running a 9 minute mile. Even the bushes or a well placed port-a-potty are bellow ruining my time and walking for a bit.

**SIDE NOTE***Let's visit this potty issue for a minute. SERIOUSLY!!! As if having children, raising them, having no life, no money, stained clothes, stretched skin and no sleep wasn't enough. It has go and totally mess with your bladder. Even now, I have to be sure there is a potty every six miles or I'm in trouble. I feel so OLD! Old and slow. **back to the subject**

I know, time doesn't matter, but I'm a racer. A slow one, but a racer nonetheless. Even when I say time doesn't matter, it still matters. It's what keeps me going.

So anyway, I signed up again this year with the only goal of beating last years time.

How did it go?

Great! I managed to keep a 8:22 mile pace with a total time of 52:18. I was 31st in my division. 422 place out of 1233.

I feel a little better about my speed. At least I'm improving and all this running isn't for nothing. How cool would that be if I had that kind of pace in the marathon? (not counting on it)


Anyway, In true freedom run fashion, the shirts were useless and ugly. Of course, that's just my opinion but you would think they could get a decent shirt out there. It seemed to look best on the people with a little more meat. It just looked so misfitting on me I couldn't wear it. :(

Two races down, two to go.

It's going to be a long hot July and August.

No comments:

Post a Comment