Thursday, August 19, 2010

3 days

Only three days and I've got another race.

I'm basking in this lovely low key week, although I blew it and had two hamburgers and a hotdog before running last night and ended up cutting my run even shorter and walking home. My stomach was protesting wildly.

I did grab a couple of big rocks and swung my arms profusely like professional speed walker in order to have some good come of my poor dietary decisions.

I got an email from the people who direct the race I'm running on Saturday. It's content was a little irritating. Here are the exact words from start to finish:

"Being one of the last accepted registrants, We are asking for your cooperation to please load the first group of buses at 5:00 am in order to get all buses to the drop off area early enough to start the race on time.  We appreciate your help in doing so.  Have a great race!"

Why is that irritating? Well, let me tell you:

First, I say, you snooze you loose. And... I was in the very first group of buses on my 1/2 marathon last year. BIG, HUGE, GINORMOUS, GARGANTUAN mistake.

I sat on that bus for an hour before it even budged, FREEZING my rear off and gnawing on a piece of cardboard, oh... I mean a snickers marathon bar. Then I stood at the start line for another hour and half wanting to die because it was so cold and nothing was happening while the last buses came up the canyon. But that was a different, VERY poorly organized race with even more runners.

Unless they make an effort to assign buses ahead of time based on what order you signed up for the race. I say a big FAT middle finger to your unsigned email. SORRY :)

Don't get me wrong. I WILL be there at 5 because I want to be able to find a place to park (there are something like 300 spots for the 1500 runners), I'm not driving to Orem to get my race packet, (ok, I might) but if I don't make it then I'm going to have to pick it up the morning of the race, and I don't want to get left behind. Sorry, but if you think I'm getting on that first bus you are mistaken! And sorry, everyone who signed up for the race did so within something like a 9 hour window.  First and last means NOTHING. AND...I will have a great race, thank you!

Another note, I have finally secured what I think will be acceptable lodging in St. George. What a pain! Three reservations, about 20 phone calls and a few sleepless nights and I think we're set. Two nights in St. George ought to be nice. I just wish it was in February when I'm sick and tired of the cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment