Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Race #3

Race #3 is over! Ok, this was actually the one I was most looking forward to. I really liked my last 1/2 marathon. It was fulfilling, easier than I thought it would be and actually quite nice.

The morning started early. 4:30 to be exact and I was tired from not sleeping well. I've got to figure something out before we hit St. George. Tylenol PM or something. It's so frustrating to not be able to turn off my brain and sleep.

I had a small bowl of cereal and headed out the door to pick up my packet since I didn't want to drive up to Orem to pick it up the day before.

I got there early enough that there was a moderate amount of people, but not tons. I was able to park easily and quickly gather my timing chip and bib #.

I got on a bus that quickly left the park. I was sure this was going to be a more organized race than my last 1/2 marathon.

well.... it was only slightly better.

I got off the bus about 1/2 hour later and started walking to the start line which was "just up the hill".

Nearly 1 mile later I was a little irritated. It was a pretty big hill and I didn't want to hike so far before running 13 miles. But oh well. So I found my place around the 9 minute mile pace marker and started stretching. And I stretched and stretched and sat, and stretched, and waited, and walked around, and got a drink and waited and stretched .... for over an HOUR!!! And of course it was freezing.

They started 45 minutes late. UGGGG

I did talk to some really nice girls while I waited though.

So the gun FINALLY goes off, although I don't think there was actually a gun, I think they just said GO. 2 minutes later I was across the start line and we were off.

Besides feeling like my muscles were already out of juice before I even started I felt great, so I went with it. I was probably running around 8 minute miles for the first 5 or 6 miles.

But the late start made the heat sort of miserable. By the time we lost a lot of elevation in those first miles it was just plain hot.

I usually just go past most of the water stations but I HAD to get water. It was hot and I was tired.

Unfortunately, I also HAD to pee. Darn it!!!! At mile 9 there was one last port a potty and I stopped to make myself more comfortable because there were only two girls waiting. But I waited for two minutes without the current person coming out. Watching my time slow before my eyes was killing me so I ran on, wishing and hoping for another potty in vain. It really made me wish I had just stopped earlier but I didn't need to go then.

I think in St. George I will make a point to just go every 7 miles or something so I don't get stuck like this.

Around mile 10 Shane was at an intersection with the kids. It was nice to have them there when I was so dead, but mostly my mind was on my bladder. They continued to meet me a few times in the next mile or so, then they had to head off to Soccer practice so I was back to focusing on finishing.

That last mile was tough. MAN it was tough. But I made it and was happy to see the clock say 1:56:36 as I crossed.

I met my goal. I finished faster than last time by 6  minutes. I would have loved for it to be by 13 minutes but I will take what I get.  My chip time was 1:54:56.

Subtract the two minutes I stood in line for the potty and maybe a 1/2 to another minute for the time I lost for being so darn miserable at the end of the race because I needed to go to the bathroom and that gets me pretty close. :)

Anyway, It was a good race. I realized that I probably need to be eating a touch better these next weeks. It can't hurt. My muscles felt empty through almost the entire race and I think it was a result of my diet. And maybe I took it a little too easy the prior weeks.

I'm still alive, my quads ache and I walk like I've been riding a horse but that only means I'm getting stronger right? At least that's what I'm telling myself.

So... Here we go.. we're down to the wire.

A big 20 mile run to complete in two weeks and then we are on our way to St. George baby! Wa Hoo!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment