Sunday, August 15, 2010

A new record

Last weekend I ran the farthest I've ever run... EVER in my entire life. I went 17 miles.

Boy it was tough to run that far all by myself. 

I left home around 5:45 am which was also very hard. I don't like running in the dark and while I could see the signs of morning creeping over the edges of the mountains it was still quite dark.

Luckily, anyone in their right mind is asleep at 5:45 on a Saturday morning and I could basically run in the middle of the road where I could more easily see my surroundings. Everyone in their right mind may be sleeping, but I worry about the one's who aren't "in the right mind". For the most part I try not to worry about what could happen to me when I'm out running by myself, but worry about it just enough to stay out of harms way the best I can I guess.

Strike #3. I am so slow to wake up in the morning. I just drag and drag and drag. It seriously takes me 5 miles to feel like I'm awake. Last Saturday was no different.

And last but not least. I chose a route that was good because I knew there were bathrooms and water through most of it. But I really should have run it backwards. I ended up running east in Spanish Fork for about 3 miles. If you don't know much about Spanish Fork, you still probably know that it's always windy there. ALWAYS! There is this canyon and they have 6 huge windmills at the mouth because, in the morning especially, the wind blows so hard all the trees grow at an angle. I was running straight into it.

I did somehow make it home. It only took me three hours. ONLY! Ugggg. I'm tired again just thinking about it.

Then I come home to a family all fresh and ready to play and work all day.

Mileage like this will not be missed and will never be in my voluntary running schedule. That's for sure!

Surprisingly my muscles didn't really hurt after the run, it was my bones. All up and down my legs the bones and joints hurt. And why wouldn't they? Seriously, running for 3 hours straight (ok, so I walked a little) is a LONG TIME!

And to think I will probably, hopefully, maybe run just an hour longer than that and 9 more miles than that seems impossible. Yet, totally do-able. Factor in a lot of adrenalin, and about 7,000 running partners as well as a big ol' helping of satisfaction and I just might make it.

Last week was a relaxed week with three glorious days off. The coming week is even more relaxed with three days off and low mileage then WHAM! A big fat 1/2 marathon on Saturday. I really can't wait. It should be a good race.

My half marathon last year was good. I was not prepared and had only run maybe 7 miles at the most but still ran the entire way and finished in 2 hours flat. My only goal this year is to beat my time.

The only thing that could get in my way would be a bathroom break. Darn bathroom breaks!

So... I'll let you know how it goes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment